Scroll down for further images
Six dining chairs, 1925
Designed by Peter Alphonsus Maria (Alph) Siebers (1893-1978)
Made at the Meubelfabriek Oosterbeek L.O.V. The Netherlands (1910-1935)
(The Oosterbeek Furniture Factory L.O.V.)
Oak with later rush seats
86 cm high
42 cm wide
46 cm deep
The Oosterbeek Furniture Factory was founded by the wealthy business owner Gerrit Pelt (1864-1956), Pelt made his fortune with a contracting company in Rotterdam, but health reasons forced him to move to the country and eventually sell up.
In 1910 he privately built a furniture factory, eleven staff residences, bathing facilities and a library to realise his dream of setting up a 'model company'. He named it The Oosterbeek Furniture Factory L. O. V. (Labor Omnia Vincit - Work Conquers all).
Pelt's dream was to uplift the working class through social reform, wages were high and the working hours favourable, other benefits included health insurance and a profit share. The company thrived until the recession forced its liquidation in 1935 to avoid bankruptcy.
The firm employed a number of freelance architects and designers such as Frits Spanjaard (1889-1978), Dirk Roosenburg (1887-1962), Joseph Crouwel (1885-1962), Hendrik Fels (1882-1962) and Alphonsus Siebers (1893-1978), their style being recognised today as 'Hague School'.
Born in Amsterdam in 1893, Peter Alphonsus Maria (Alph) Siebers was trained as an engineer at the Technical School in Delft, he went on to work at a number of architectural practices in Rotterdam, including with Piet Buskens (1872-1939). His furniture designs were made by P. Bazuin & Zn, Rotterdam.
Between 1926 and 1927 he visited the United States to study urban development, then in 1928 he toured Europe and Scandinavia. He was employed as a designer by the Oosterbeek Furniture Factory between 1926-1934.
Note despite Siebers starting to work for the firm in 1926, oddly the photograph of the dining room setting is dated by the National Architecture Institute in Amsterdam to 1925. This photograph was later published in 'Ons Binnenhuis' by Wilhelmus Retera in 1930.
The L.O.V. Furniture Factory Foundation also date the chair design to 1925. see here for their version of our chair, a variant lacking the through-tenon joints.